Thursday 4 August 2011

Strawberries!

Just picked - ready for a salad.

Well, my strawberries are small but they are very sweet and tasty, I must say.  There seems to be about this much as in the picture, ripe every day and what I have been doing is just stopping between mowing the lawn and picking at the walkway, to snack on the ripe ones.  I am going to try to collect a few, freeze them, then save them for jam or some other dessert.  This year, the strawberries are growing a lot better than last year. I hear John Lester is having a good crop too!  He said they are having a longer growing season with the lack of sun.  Anyway, I can barely keep my little patch under control; I cannot imagine managing the fields of strawberries he has!

The raspberry bushes I have look like there are a lot of berries on them, but the plants are kinda frail-looking. We will have to see in a week or so.

I am looking forward to picking berries later on in the summer and early fall.  I like to go for the cranberries that grow along the cliffs just up from Marine Lab. Lots of blueberries and partridge berries down that way too.


Apronful of berries!

No comments:

Post a Comment